Rose cupcakes are a delicate, sweet snack that are good for any season and will elate you for the rest of the day.
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 115 g/4 oz butter, softened
- 115 g/4 oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
- few drops of essence of rose oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 175 g/6 oz self-rasing white flour
- silver dragees (cake decoration balls), to decorate
- 85 g/3 oz butter,softened
- 175 g/6 oz icing sugar
- pink or purple food colouring (optional)
crystallized rose petals
- 12-24 rose petals
- lightly beaten egg white, for brushing
- caster sugar, for sprinkling
1. To make the crystallized rose petals, gently rinse the petals and dry well with kitchen paper. Using a pastry brush, paint both sides of a rose petal with egg white, then coat well with caster sugar. Place on a tray and repeat with the remaining petals.Cover the tray with kitchen foil and leave to dry overnight.
2. Preaheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius/ 400 degrees farinheight/ gas mark 6. Put 12 paper baking cases in a bun tray, or put 12 double-layer paper cases on a baking tray.
3. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Stir in the milk, rose essence and vanilla extract then, using a metal spoon, fold in the flour. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
4. Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until well risen golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
5. To make the icing, put the butter in a large bowl and beat until fluffy. Sift in the icing in the icing sugar and mix well together.If wished, add a few drops of pink or purple food colouring to complement the rose petals.
6. When the cupcakes are cold, spread the icing on top of each cake. Top with 1-2 crystallized rose petals and sprinkle with silver dragees to decorate.
There is your recipe for rose petal cupcakes. Good luck if you make them.